A Removable Partial Denture is an appliance that replaces one or several missing teeth. It is attached to the remaining teeth with clasps, and is removable by the wearer. A partial also helps improve speech and prevent your face from sagging by supporting you lips and cheeks.
Caring for your Denture or Partial Denture:
- We recommend cleaning your denture or partial daily, as it is important to remove the stains, plaque and food, that stick to your partial/denture.
- Brush all over the partial, not only around the teeth.
- Use a special denture brush or a toothbrush with soft bristles.
- We recommend using mild hand or dish soap to cleanse your partial, as regular toothpaste is too abrasive and can cause micro-fractures. These micro-fractures can lead to a build-up of unwanted bacteria.
- You may use a denture effervescence soaking tablets to soak your denture/partial. Use them as directed.
- Do not allow your denture/partial to dry out, as this could cause their shape to change/warp.
- When out of the mouth they should always be left in cool water, or in a denture-cleaning or soaking solution.
Even if you wear dentures, you still must take good care of your mouth. Brush your gums, tongue and palate every morning with a soft bristled brush before you insert your dentures. Routine oral examinations are necessary to check the mouth and oral tissues to look for signs of oral disease such as cancer.
Call our office today with any questions or to set up an appointment.